I primarily work in the fields of operating systems and networking; my current projects include:
Software Defined Network Function Virtualization: We are designing the software infrastructures and management algorithms needed to transition network services like routers, firewalls, and intrusion detection systems from running on hardware to more flexible, software-based environments. The basis for our research is OpenNetVM (NSDI 14, HotMiddlebox 16), a high performance NFV platform that we have released as open source to the research community. Through careful optimizations at the systems-level, OpenNetVM can achieve packet processing rates of nearly 70Gbps, while retaining a flexible, SDN-controlled design. We have demonstrated the power of this platform with a self-managing, high speed load balancer for memcached clusters (ICAC 16 Best Paper), explored extreme scalability (Co-NEXT 16) service chain scheduling (SIGCOMM 17), and protocol-stack (SIGCOMM 18) related challenges. This work is supported in part by NSF CNS-1422362. More info here!
Efficient, Flexible, and Dependable Clouds: Modern data centers rely on virtualization to partition servers into isolated components. My early work on “black-box” and “gray-box” virtual machine management (NSDI 07) sought to evaluate the benefits and drawbacks of sending information across the virtualization abstraction layer for resource management. Since then we’ve explored how carefully puncturing the virtualization abstraction layer can be used to dynamically manage memory (VEE 09 Best Paper, Usenix ATC 12, VEE 14), storage (SC 15, IC2E 16) and CPU (IWQoS 12 Best Paper, CCGrid 14). We’ve also investigated the challenges with defending cloud services from both natural disasters (SoCC 11) and malicious attacks (EuroSys 11, HotCloud 16). This work is supported in part by NSF CNS-1525992, an NSF CAREER Award, the Comcast Technology Research and Development Fund, and a Google Faculty Award.
Selected Recent Publications
- CRIMES: Using Evidence to Secure the Cloud. Sundaresan Rajasekaran, Harpreet Singh Chawla, Zhen Ni, Neel Shah, Emery Berger, Timothy Wood. ACM/IEEE/IFIP Middleware Conference, December 2018.
- REINFORCE: Achieving Efficient Failure Resiliency for Network Function Virtualization based Services. Sameer G. Kulkarni, Guyue Liu, K. K. Ramakrishnan, Mayutan Arumaithurai, Timothy Wood, and Xiaoming Fu. ACM CoNEXT, December 2018.
- Microboxes: High Performance NFV with Customizable, Asynchronous TCP Stacks and Dynamic Subscriptions. Guyue Liu, Yuxin Ren, Mykola Yurchenko, K.K. Ramakrishnan, and Timothy Wood. ACM SIGCOMM, August 2018.
- NFVnice: Dynamic Backpressure and Scheduling for NFV Service Chains. Sameer G Kulkarni, Wei Zhang, Jinho Hwang, Shriram Rajagopalan, K.K. Ramakrishnan, Timothy Wood, Mayutan Arumaithurai, and Xiaoming Fu. ACM SIGCOMM, August 2017.
- Flurries: Countless Fine-Grained NFs for Flexible Per-Flow Customization. Wei Zhang, Jinho Hwang, Shriram Rajagopalan, K. K. Ramakrishnan, Timothy Wood. ACM Co-NEXT, December 2016.
- Netalytics: Cloud-Scale Application Performance Monitoring with SDN and NFV. Guyue Liu, Michael Trotter, Yuxin Ren, Timothy Wood. ACM/IFIP/USENIX Middleware, December 2016.
- OpenNetVM: A Platform for High Performance Network Service Chains. Wei Zhang, Guyue Liu, Wenhui Zhang, Neel Shah, Phil Lopreiato, Gregoire Todeschi, K.K. Ramakrishnan, and Timothy Wood. ACM SIGCOMM Workshop on Hot Topics in Middleboxes and Network Function Virtualization, August 2016.
- NetKV: Scalable, Self-Managing, Load Balancing as a Network Function. Wei Zhang, Timothy Wood, Jinho Hwang. International Conference on Autonomic Computing (ICAC 16), July 2016. Best Paper Award
- IOrchestra: Supporting High-performance Data-intensive Applications in the Cloud via Collaborative Virtualization. Ron C. Chiang, H. Howie Huang, Timothy Wood, Changbin Liu, Oliver Spatscheck. Proceedings of the International Conference for High Performance Computing, Networking, Storage and Analysis (SC), November 2015.
- NetVM: High Performance and Flexible Networking using Virtualization on Commodity Platforms. Jinho Hwang, K.K. Ramakrishnan, Timothy Wood. Usenix Symposium on Networked System Design and Implementation (NSDI), April 2014. Extended TNSM journal version.
My recent Program Committee service includes:
- ACM Conference on emerging Networking EXperiments and Technologies (CoNEXT ‘18)
- ACM/IEEE Symposium on Architectures for Networking and Communications Systems (ANCS ‘18)
- IEEE International Symposium on Local and Metropolitan Area Networks (LANMAN ‘18) - General Co-Chair
- USENIX Symposium on Networked Systems Design and Implementation (NSDI ‘18)
- ACM/IFIP/USENIX Middleware Conference (Middleware ‘17, ‘18) - Student Activities Chair
- USENIX Annual Technical Conference (USENIX ATC ‘17)
- International Teletraffic Congress (ITC ‘17)
- IEEE International Symposium on Local and Metropolitan Area Networks (LANMAN ‘17) - TPC Co-Chair
- IEEE Privacy-Aware Computing Conference (PAC ‘17) - Local Arrangements Chair
- IEEE International Conference on Autonomic Computing (ICAC ‘17) - Proceedings Chair
- Cloud-Assisted Networking Workshop, co-located with ACM CoNEXT (CAN ‘16) - Co-Chair
- ACM/IFIP/USENIX Middleware Conference (Middleware 2014, 2015, ‘16)
- IEEE International Conference on Network Protocols (ICNP ‘16)
- IEE Workshop on Local and Metropolitan Area Networks (LANMAN 2015, ‘16)
- ACM/SPEC International Conference on Performance Engineering (ICPE ‘16) - Publicity Co-Chair
- IEEE International Conference on Parallel Processing (ICPP ‘16)
- IEEE International Conference on Cloud Engineering (IC2E ‘16)
I also run an outreach program to local high schools that teaches students how the popular websites they use are actually built. Contact me if you are interested in this program.